A Weekly Dose of Happy Issue 7
Hi, welcome to the next edition of “A Weekly Dose of Happy” from HappyMonks. Here is a list of 5 things to help you start the week off with a little happiness! Enjoy!
I love to travel. I love seeing and exploring new places. I love learning about other cultures and seeing how people around the world live. Traveling puts things in perspective for me. It reminds me of how big this world is and how tiny my problems are. Travel is my happiness and I have been lucky enough to take two amazing trips in the last 4 months. Over Christmas I went to Cuba and last week I was in Iceland. I highly recommend both! Since traveling makes me so happy, I decided to make it the theme of this week’s newsletter and maybe inspire you to finally buy that plane ticket you have been thinking about! Here is a great article that explains why travel makes you happy: Why Travel Makes You Happy
One of my favorite parts about traveling is trying new foods. Unfortunately, with my food allergies, Iceland was tough. Reykjavik has some amazing restaurants, which were able to accommodate my diet, but as soon as we left the city and headed to smaller towns, I had a tough time. Beef jerky and protein bars were my best friends. Between that and the cold, rain and wind my friend and I endured during our 6 days in Iceland, all I could think about was this Chicken Pho by Nomnom Paleo. It’s super easy to make, really lite but filling and tastes amazing. It’s like a hug in a bowl! Who doesn’t want that? Chicken Pho by Nomnom Paleo
This week my book recommendation is Wanderlost by Jen Malone. It fits this week’s travel theme perfectly! Wanderlost is a romantic and charming book about Aubree Sadler and her whirlwind trip through Europe. Aubree can’t think of a better place to spend her summer than perfectly boring Ohio. But when her older sister, Elizabeth, gets into real trouble, Aubree is talked into taking over Elizabeth’s summer job, leading a group of senior citizens on a bus tour through Europe. At their first stop in Amsterdam, her perfect plan unravels, leaving her with no phone, no carefully prepared binder full of helpful facts, and an unexpected guest: the tour company owner’s son, Sam. Aubree knows this trip may show her who she really is - she just hopes she likes where she ends up. Reading about Aubree’s journey and seeing Europe through her eyes will definitely bring back memories of your first big trip and make you smile! Wanderlost by Jen Malone
Now that I have traveled quite a bit, I have come up with a list of “must-haves” that I bring on every trip. These products are in addition to the usual stuff like my neck pillow, an iPad loaded up with movies and shows, my adapters, my chargers, copies of my passport and credit cards, medicines, anti-bacterial hand sanitizer and some good books. Here is my list:
- Travel size Lysol spray – This is very important when you are sharing a room, but mostly a bathroom, with a friend. You can find it in the travel section at any CVS or Target.
- Laundry bag – Bringing a laundry bag really helps me keep track of what’s clean and what’s dirty. It also makes me feel better knowing my dirty clothes aren’t stinking up my clean clothes! I got mine at the container store.
- Drip Drop Hydration Powder – When I travel, I definitely don’t drink as much water as I normally do and tend to get dehydrated so I just add this powder to some water and drink. I instantly feel better. It’s also great to drink if you get a stomach bug while on the road. They are available on Amazon.
- Justin’s Almond Butter squeeze packs – These are a favorite when I travel. Breakfast can be tough for me so I just bring my packet of almond butter to breakfast and put it on a banana, apple or gluten free bread.
- Ziploc bags – I know this seems random but there hasn’t been a trip when I haven’t needed an extra Ziploc bag. I pack extra sandwich size and gallon size bags in my suitcase and pull one out whenever I need one!
Instead of a video this week, I thought I would share some of my photographs from my trip with you. I hope they capture the beauty of Iceland and inspire you to travel the world!